Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gardening Karma

I don't know who to thank for our recent stint of good luck in the garden. Should I stop by my Gardening Mr. Myagi's house and thank him for his advice? Should I thank my friend Dianne for sending us Basil Boddywicket, the gnome? Is it the fact that we no longer have the hot summer sun and torrential rains? Or is it just plain ole gardening karma that has come back around and blessed us with some life for a change? I don't know and frankly I don't care. All I know is that we have things growing in the garden and it's not just grass and weeds for once.

Aidan and I were in the garden weeding today and Aidan screamed 'MOMMY! LOOK! LOOK! A FLOWER!" and then commenced jumping up and down pointing at the pumpkin plant. He is famous for pointing out tiny flowers on weeds so I didn't think much of it until I turned around and saw it.

Do you see that? That's a big, beautiful yellow FLOWER on our pumpkin plant!

And do you see what's next to it? There are about 3 other buds of about-to-bloom flowers. Holy crap - maybe I won't have to buy a throw-down pumpkin to toss in the garden to impress the boys after all.

Thanks to Mr. Myagi's advice, I bought some Miracle Gro liquid and mixed it up into a watering can and sprinkled it over the entire garden this weekend. And here we are on Thursday with a pumpkin flower. Maybe it was the Miracle Gro? The back of the bottle said to use weekly for "spectacular" results. One flower is spectacular in my books!

And oddly enough, the carrots are growing too. The carrots that we accidentally planted about 3 months ahead of schedule that were supposed to die - those carrots. I think you're supposed to thin them, but I'm not sure how or when. Regardless we have carrots actually growing. They look so much like carrots that my mom (who was up visiting for the past 2 days) walked past the garden and said "Oh look! You have carrots growing!" (yes, it was said in utter disbelief).

Aidan is so excited by all this that he's very into weeding around the healthy plants in the hopes of keeping them alive. There's not much better than seeing your child weeding happily. And check out the tomato plants around him in this picture. Yup - they perked up recently too!

I'm as happy as a lipstick-wearing pig in slop right now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin