Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hentastic photo shoot

From time to time I hold a little photo shoot with the girls. I don't know if you realize this, but photographing a chicken isn't an easy job. They don't pose or sit on command and their heads do that quick jerky bird thing that means you get a lot of blurry photos. Plus Maggie acts like the consummate middle child and almost always gets her head in front of whoever I'm trying to photograph.

I've been working on getting some straight-on shots of their heads lately. Once again, not an easy task because they prefer to look at you from a slight angle so they can tilt their heads just so and peer at you with their beady little eyes. It doesn't seem natural to them to stare at you head-on.

I wanted to show the front view of their pink dangly bits - one of my favorite parts of a chicken. We are, of course, talking about their wattles. I love a good wattle. My Lab had some great dog wattles in her old age, but there's just something about a nice red chicken wattle that makes me smile. Did you know that chicken's combs and wattles are really warm to the touch? They're like little hen heaters.

So today I managed to get a good shot of each girl from the front.

Here is Clementine looking plucky and sweet.


Here is Maggie poised to peck the camera lens.


And here is Sookie showing off her kickin' muffs - the sticky-outy feathers on the sides of her face.



I couldn't stop at frontal photos and decided to complete the chicken mug shot vibe I had going by doing profile shots as well. It's interesting to me to see how each breed is different in their ears, combs and wattles.

Ms. Clementine, a Buff Orpington.


Maggie, a Barred Plymouth Rock.


And finally, Sookie, an Easter Egger.


They're very interested in the new chicken run that Farmer B and the boys are building and stand in their hoop run peering quizzically at the strange contraption that is now partially attached to their coop. I can't wait to take pics of them enjoying their new digs.


On a side note - thanks to all those who inquired about Farmer B's eye. It's healing nicely and he's back to work and to working on the chicken run already!

11 comments:

Mandi said...

belles poules!

Lo said...

My oh my have they grown. They are beautiful Kate! Cant wait until they lay you some yummy eggs! :)

Carole said...

The girls have grown beautifully. You should be proud of the way you have nurtured them to adulthood. The new chicken run that farmer B and boy building will be such a plus for them. Maybe they will lay you some tasty eggs for all the hard work you have put in. I know it's a labor of love but we all enjoy their antics as well as yous and the boy's. Chickens rule.

berrypatch said...

So pretty! I want to do this with mine. What's the best way have you found? Do you let them free range? Do you climb in with them? My chicken tractor is too small for this & the couple of times one has gotten out it rushes to get back in. Hmmm, maybe I should just wait until we have their permanent coop built. Starting on that this weekend! ;-)

Lee said...

Great photos :-)

Thanks for taking the time to catch them in the cluck!

Sue said...

I love that top photo of Clementine. So sweet. Chickens are so fun to watch.

Ribbit said...

They're just adorable. I can't belive how they're mugging for the camera. They're superstars.

Kelly said...

They are so cute! I just love their names, they seem to suit them perfectly.
I missed the eye injury bit, but glad to hear the Mr. is feeling better!!!

Kate and Crew said...

Thanks all!

BerryPatch - I can't let them free range because we have lots of aerial predators. I do sometimes let them out for a few minutes with me, but usually only one chicken at a time since they're easier to catch that way. To take these photos, I opened the door to their chicken run all the way. It swings down and lays flat on the ground. I stood on the door and held little sprigs of dollarweed in my hand to entice them over. I snapped about 128 photos and you see the 6 good ones on the page. LOL. I have found that if you want to take photos of them, it's better to wait until later in the day. The lighting is better late afternoon and the chickens are generally a bit calmer since they're thinking about going to bed soon.

HTH

Darla said...

These photos are hilarious!!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness, what personality they have all close up like that!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin