Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Great White Beast

I'm not sure at what moment we started calling Saffie "the beast." I think it may have happened after she devoured the head of the fourth large frozen frog from our backyard. Or it might have been after she flattened one of our tiny little Siamese kitties. But when Saffie and her huge paws and fat belly come charging in a room the boys yell "AAHHHH! The Beast is loose." I've got to say - she does fit the name.

I spend a lot of time trying to take really sweet photos of the puppy, but I realized recently that showing her true colors is really a better representation of life with a Lab puppy.

Here is a photo a day from the past week. She is such a full-time job. I'm not sure a day goes by without her rolling in mud, eating something dead or chewing on something she shouldn't. She's the Christmas present that keeps on giving.


We heard a thumping outside of our bedroom door and I came around the corner to find this. Sadly she gets her head stuck in this thing at least once a day. Farmer B just yells "Your dog is stuck in the pumpkin again!" and I shuffle over to where she's thumping her head and pull it off.


We emptied out the boys sandbox the other day and then it rained. She spends every possible moment in the sandbox now and prefers to lay down in it and roll around until there isn't a dry spot on her.


The boys have a plastic table on the patio for painting and arts and crafts, but Saffie prefers to lay on it and eat my garden trowel. Or a shoe. Or a rock. She's not picky.


Her frog-eating habit is one of my favorites. She prefers ones that smell like roadkill and obviously the bigger, the better. I really enjoy prying them out of her mouth and flinging them over our fence. It's always a highlight of my day, especially if it's a bad throw and it falls back and touches me.


If there's mud, she finds it. If there's a toy left in the yard, she chews on it.


Mud. Rake. Enough said.


And finally, you know that Saffron and Rommel have become best friends, but you might wonder how she's adjusting to the cats. Not very well. Not very well at all. They have yet to come to an understanding. My two kitties are disgusted with the Great White Beast and have a whole new appreciation for their former foe, and new best friend, Rommel.

13 comments:

Ribbit said...

Just wait until she starts eating dry-wall. That's where the real fun begins.

But she is just so darn cute.

Stefaneener said...

Thank you. Thank you for keeping me from ever, ever getting another Lab. Ours was such a good boy that I don't want to tarnish his good memory.

Amy said...

My lab mix girl Veronica is probably the most disgusting dog I've ever had (out of 4 lab mixes). If we had frozen frogs I'd have to pry them out of her mouth too - unless she just ate them really fast before I could get to her... she does try to get to the roadkill rabbits we sometimes pass on our walks...

Darla said...

She's so pretty though! It'll all be worth is when she matures some.

Kelly said...

Ahh, you have me cracking up again over my morning coffee. She is getting so big! I do really think puppies, (labs at least) are harder than kids. She likes to be King of the Hill huh? Master of her domain? :) Keep those photos coming!

I wish I could post photos on here, I had an orange Halloween bucked head too, except it was my son...not the dog that would be bumping into things. (BLUSH)

Erin said...

OMG Kate, I am laughing so hard! Those pictures are priceless, and the video, well, let's just say that I am not a fan of cats so I was rooting for "the Beast"! I SWORE no more puppies, only old retirement home-needing dogs.... then the Aussie Rescue had the nerve to send me a PICTURE of the pup that needed a home...ugh! "Sprocket" is a nightmare, but we love her, as you do Saffron. He is going to be huge, and when he gets old, will be a relaxing companion! And Ribbit, my old lab ate drywall too when she was a pup, along with tearing up the 4 layers of linoleum that were in the kitchen. Luckily, we were planning on redoing the kitchen floor anyways... :)

Erin said...

or "he", sorry!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in days!

Kalena Michele said...

She is the cutest puppy. We used to have a golden lab puppy and she was too big for our home. However, she was adopted by a great family and Buttercup is very happy in her new home.

Annie*s Granny said...

Oh.How.Funny! The dog and cat reminded me of my dogs with "their" rabbit. When we let Cookie out of his cage, the dogs poke him with their noses, relentlessly. Poke. Poke. POKE.

Susan said...

She's adorable...and entertaining. You got some great shots of her. I pity the poor frogs in your yard. :-)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

OK, I was right about the Christmas gift. What a handful lab pups are! You could write a children's book and illustrate it with your photos. What stories you could tell! That video was funny. I was glad I remembered to turn the sound up.

Ellie said...

"I really enjoy prying them out of her mouth and flinging them over our fence. It's always a highlight of my day, especially if it's a bad throw and it falls back and touches me."

So. Funny.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin