Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wildlife Weekend :: The girls

I can't believe next month I will have had these girls a year. Time definitely flies when you're raising chickens. I haven't posted any pics of them recently and I thought it would be fun to show off their full combs and wattles now that they've grown into them.

Here's Maggie, who is insanely difficult to photograph. She does that fast-moving-head-thing like pigeons do so every photograph is either blurred or she's not in it. I have to take about 50 of her to find a couple where she's focused and in the frame.


She's got an awesome comb that's so big it flops over a bit. I know we're not talking show quality birds here, but I'm giving her major points for style and personality.


Then we've got our big softie, Clementine. She's a full-figured gal and doesn't go anywhere fast. She stays perfectly still for photos and will look straight at you when you say her name.


She looks sort of mean in this photo, but she's just being all fluffy and cute and looking right at me when I ask her to strike a pose.


Poor Sookie missed out on the entire photo shoot because she was laying an egg. There is just something nice, old-fashioned, natural and sweet about seeing a chicken sitting on a nest. I still can't get enough of it.



* * * * * * * *

On a personal note, the blog has taken a bit of a backburner as of late. We've had some tragic news from family in the UK and my mom has flown over to the hospital in London. It's hard to focus on blogging when we're focused on that right now. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't need to go over there too... it won't be good news if I do.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Great photos, and congrats on one year of chicken farming! Sorry to hear about your family news, you are in our prayers.

Ribbit said...

Fantastic pictures! I'd love to have chickens, but our HOA wouldn't allow it.

Many blessings to your family. I hope all goes well.

Nicolezmomma said...

I love the pictures of your chickens - makes me want some too. Unfortunately I'm as bad in the animal department as the plant department.

I hope for the best for your family.

Darla said...

I think the girls are show quality myself!! Just so cute.
Prayers for your mom's travels and prayers for your family's needs...

Jeff Vandiver said...

I hope family overseas make it through the apparent rough times. Hopefully you won't have to make an emergency visit.

Kalena Michele said...

Wow, your chickens are gorgeous. Makes me want to raise a few of my own. Maybe one day... :)

Kelly said...

Your girls are just adorable! So sorry to hear of the family illness, I hope whom ever it is makes a speedy recovery.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin