Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's a Christmas miracle!

One of my biggest backyard gardening fantasies became a reality today! No, not that one you sickos! My fantasy of eating SOMETHING from the garden as a main course!! Because dividing up 12 green beans isn't exactly a main course and chopping up a few radishes and dumping them in a salad isn't either. But making the Swiss Chard quiche of my dreams is!! Okay, okay, I know I made a lot of leek soups already, but this was something substantial. Something that could be cut with a knife. Something that required side dishes.

You know when I was fresh out of college if someone would have told me that I'd be giddy about making and eating a Swiss Chard quiche I'd have laughed in your face. Funny how times change.


But my armyworm-eaten Swiss Chard made a valiant comeback and was looking like it wanted to be eaten by an even bigger carnivore today. I got five eggs from my hard-working hens and a nice handful of Chard and made a most delicious quiche. I added some baby portabella mushrooms, Swiss and Monterey Jack cheeses and whipped that baby up.


Un-freaking-believable. A Christmas miracle indeed. I will now continue this ridiculous gardening gig…just in case something like this happens again.

9 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Maybe it will happen again! That would be great. Sounds like a nice dinner. And the other gardening fantasy. . . save it for summer.

Engineeredgarden said...

"Yes, there is a santa claus, Kate"! I share your enthusiasm, and am glad that you will continue gardening. The quiche looks great!

Annie's Granny said...

You've made me giddy with joy. You're like The Little Engine That Could. I still say you're going to have to change your blog's name to Gardening WITH Skills!

Darla said...

That's exactly how a person gets hooked on gardening!! Very exciting the the quiche looks wonderful!

Ribbit said...

That's the spirit, Kate!!!

Daphne said...

Oh I love chard quiche. Yum. Congrats on your victory.

Dani said...

Congrats! It looks soooo yummy!

Kelly said...

Mmmm, congrats on the quiche! We had Swiss Chard tarts quite a bit this summer, it's good stuff sin't it??

Erin said...

That looks delicious! Think I may try that over the holidays if my chard survives this storm this weekend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin