Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wildlife Weekend :: Little Moo

If you think Sandhill Crane families are the only wildlife families that I stalk, you're wrong. Apparently I stalk cows too. There are plenty of fields full of cows around here, but there is one secluded field with a small cow family that just captivates me. There are four white cows and one big brown and white bull. I'd venture to guess that the cows are all brahma cows, but I'm not so sure about the bull. They always seem like such a content little family. And then one day I saw this.


Just standing there. All wobbly and new.

Mom and Dad seemed proud. It was hard to get a photo of the calf because Daddy kept standing between me and the baby. And the thin barbed wire fence between us didn't seem like I could bet my life on the fact it'd hold if the new Daddy got sick of the deranged paparazzi. The Daddy is such an attentive bull, nuzzling on mama cow, always laying wherever the cows lay and always standing between crazy-me and the calf.


Since then I've seen a little dark brown one show up and then four days ago a little white one with a brown bum. I enjoy my secluded little brahma family and I hope you do too.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful! Haven't they got the funniest ears - like our lop-eared bunnies.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin